-   -   Excel FUNCTIONS stop working (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/98420-excel-functions-stop-working.html)

suekh

Excel FUNCTIONS stop working

Functions (VLOOKUP, COUNTIF, etc.) work sometimes and other times, the
system reads the entries as text and doesn't execute the function. I
have been having this problem on & off for months, and nothing is
helping. MS Excel site doesn't have any tips on handling this problem.
Has anyone else run into this? Help! thx, suekh

Bondi

suekh wrote:
Functions (VLOOKUP, COUNTIF, etc.) work sometimes and other times, the
system reads the entries as text and doesn't execute the function. I
have been having this problem on & off for months, and nothing is
helping. MS Excel site doesn't have any tips on handling this problem.
Has anyone else run into this? Help! thx, suekh

Hi Suekh,

Maybe your cells are formated as Text when you enter the formulas.
Maybe RightClick The Cell and then - Format Cells - General - OK

The double click the cell and hit enter.

Regards,
Bondi

suekh

Excel FUNCTIONS stop working

Hi Bondi - I've tried multiple formats: text, numbers, custom - you
name it. changing both active doc and the doc that i'm VLOOKUP-ing in,
to no avail. Thanks, would love to hear any other theories! suekh

Bondi wrote:
suekh wrote:
Functions (VLOOKUP, COUNTIF, etc.) work sometimes and other times, the
system reads the entries as text and doesn't execute the function. I
have been having this problem on & off for months, and nothing is
helping. MS Excel site doesn't have any tips on handling this problem.
Has anyone else run into this? Help! thx, suekh

Hi Suekh,

Maybe your cells are formated as Text when you enter the formulas.
Maybe RightClick The Cell and then - Format Cells - General - OK

The double click the cell and hit enter.

Regards,
Bondi

Niek Otten

Excel FUNCTIONS stop working

Most important part of Bondi's advice: "Then double click the cell and hit enter"

You can also hit F2 and then ENTER

Just re-formatting as Number doesn't help, you have re-enter the data, which the above methods do.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel