-   -   Adding numbers in rows results in zero. help! (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/98223-adding-numbers-rows-results-zero-help.html)

Mr_Philby_Takeshi

Adding numbers in rows results in zero. help!

hello,

I have created a summary sheet for my personal budget summarising totals for
the financial year. I am trying to add a row of cells B24 to E24 which have
the values $11.60, $0.40, $15.00 and $15.50 using the SUM function. I know it
equals $42.50 because it displays this total in the status bar when cells
B24:E24 are highlighted. However, the function returns a result of $0.00 in
cell F24. The cells are formatted as currency. I have tried embedding VALUE()
into the sum function as suggested by another user on this discussion board
with no success. Any ideas of possible solutions?

cheers Phil.

Nick Hodge

Adding numbers in rows results in zero. help!

I'm not sure that putting VALUE around a sum function will bump 'text
numbers' into actual numbers

Try entering a 1 in a spare cell and copy it.

Highlight B24:E24 and then EditPaste Special...Values+Multiply. This
should fix the numbers

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"Mr_Philby_Takeshi" wrote in
message ...
hello,

I have created a summary sheet for my personal budget summarising totals
for
the financial year. I am trying to add a row of cells B24 to E24 which
have
the values $11.60, $0.40, $15.00 and $15.50 using the SUM function. I know
it
equals $42.50 because it displays this total in the status bar when cells
B24:E24 are highlighted. However, the function returns a result of $0.00
in
cell F24. The cells are formatted as currency. I have tried embedding
VALUE()
into the sum function as suggested by another user on this discussion
board
with no success. Any ideas of possible solutions?

cheers Phil.

Ardus Petus

Adding numbers in rows results in zero. help!

What are your =SUM() formula's parameters?

--
AP

"Mr_Philby_Takeshi" a écrit
dans le message de news:
hello,

I have created a summary sheet for my personal budget summarising totals
for
the financial year. I am trying to add a row of cells B24 to E24 which
have
the values $11.60, $0.40, $15.00 and $15.50 using the SUM function. I know
it
equals $42.50 because it displays this total in the status bar when cells
B24:E24 are highlighted. However, the function returns a result of $0.00
in
cell F24. The cells are formatted as currency. I have tried embedding
VALUE()
into the sum function as suggested by another user on this discussion
board
with no success. Any ideas of possible solutions?

cheers Phil.

Don Guillett

Adding numbers in rows results in zero. help!

You probably have the values entered
'$ 11.60 when it needs to be
11.60 and then format as currency
try this:
put 1 in a cell somewherecopy that cellhighlight all cells with your text
valueseditpaste specialmultiply.
your formula should be
=sum(b24:e24)

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

[...]

Bob Phillips

Adding numbers in rows results in zero. help!

This doesn't sound right. If they were text, the SUM in the status bar would
not show properly. IS there anything unusual with your SUM function?

--
HTH

Bob Phillips