-   -   How do I format a column to automatically make it a negative numbe (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/9736-how-do-i-format-column-automatically-make-negative-numbe.html)

Kathy

How do I format a column to automatically make it a negative numbe

I need to setup credit columns that will automatically be negative numbers in
red and brackets without having to manually put in the minus sign. I have
done this in custom formats but when I use a column to total debits and
credits on a row it is not subtracting the credits. How do you get it to
subtract the credits?

Roland

Kathy,

Have you considered subtracting instead of adding in your totals column?
Total column = Debit column - Credit column