-   -   I need to return one of three answers in a cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/97295-i-need-return-one-three-answers-cell.html)

Kath

I need to return one of three answers in a cell

I need to have one of three results show up in the cell.

I am using VLOOKUP to get my data result, but I need the cell to display
"unknown" if the requested data is not valid. However to add to that, I need
the cell to display nothing at all if there is no data being requested.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Ardus Petus

I need to return one of three answers in a cell

Say your lookup table is in D1:E10

=IF(A1="","",IF(ISNA(MATCH(A1,D1:D10)),"unknown",V LOOKUP(A1:D1:E10,2,0)))

HTH
--
AP

"Kath" a écrit dans le message de news:
I need to have one of three results show up in the cell.

I am using VLOOKUP to get my data result, but I need the cell to display
"unknown" if the requested data is not valid. However to add to that, I
need
the cell to display nothing at all if there is no data being requested.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Dav

I need to return one of three answers in a cell

Can you give us a little more information. Unknown can be added to a
lookup as the valure to return at he top or bottom of the range

of

if(isblank(a1)," ",if(vlookup you have used=#n/a,"Unknown",vlookup you
have used))

Regards

Dav

--
Dav
Dav's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27107

Kath

I need to return one of three answers in a cell

Thanks. I have used the formula now of

=IF(ISBLANK(D19),"",IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(D19,Catalog ue!$A$4:$C$42,2,FALSE)),"unknown",VLOOKUP(D19,Cata logue!$A$4:$C$42,2,FALSE)))

and it returns the correct results, but it is saying it is an inconsistant
formula.

Any ideas on that?

Thanks again
Kath

"Dav" wrote:

Can you give us a little more information. Unknown can be added to a
lookup as the valure to return at he top or bottom of the range

of

if(isblank(a1)," ",if(vlookup you have used=#n/a,"Unknown",vlookup you
have used))

Regards

Dav

--
Dav
Dav's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27107
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=557777

Kath

I need to return one of three answers in a cell

My mistake - not an inconsistant formula - just an error of refering to empty
cells - easily fixed by turning that error checker off.

thanks very much Dav and Ardus Petus. Greatly appreciated.

Kath