-   -   Use a formula to delete part of a text string? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/96759-use-formula-delete-part-text-string.html)

Josh Craig

Use a formula to delete part of a text string?

Hi I was just wondering if I could use a formula to delete part of text in a
cell after a certain string of text appears within that cell where the number
of characters before the certain text varies for example:

Big Fat Cat-brown-2803
Small dog-brown-705
Large sheep-brown-106
Small cat-brown-1803

I was looking for a formula so that everything after "-brown" and "-brown"
itself is is deleted. I can only think how to do this where there is a
consistent number of characters before or after the phrase I want to delete,
but unfortunately I don't have that luxury.

Stefi

Use a formula to delete part of a text string?

Say your text is in A2, then insert in B2:
=LEFT(A2,SEARCH("-brown",A2)-1)

Regards,
Stefi

€˛Josh Craig€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

Hi I was just wondering if I could use a formula to delete part of text in a
cell after a certain string of text appears within that cell where the number
of characters before the certain text varies for example:

Big Fat Cat-brown-2803
Small dog-brown-705
Large sheep-brown-106
Small cat-brown-1803

I was looking for a formula so that everything after "-brown" and "-brown"
itself is is deleted. I can only think how to do this where there is a
consistent number of characters before or after the phrase I want to delete,
but unfortunately I don't have that luxury.

Bondi

Josh Craig wrote:
Hi I was just wondering if I could use a formula to delete part of text in a
cell after a certain string of text appears within that cell where the number
of characters before the certain text varies for example:

Big Fat Cat-brown-2803
Small dog-brown-705
Large sheep-brown-106
Small cat-brown-1803

I was looking for a formula so that everything after "-brown" and "-brown"
itself is is deleted. I can only think how to do this where there is a
consistent number of characters before or after the phrase I want to delete,
but unfortunately I don't have that luxury.

One way would to use something like this: (With text in A1)

=LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-SEARCH("-brown",A1,1))

Regards,
Bondi

Bondi

Use a formula to delete part of a text string?

Hi Again,

Sorry.. disregard all the stuff i just wrote... It is compleat rubish
:)
Stefi's works like a charm thou..

Regards,
Bondi

Biff

Use a formula to delete part of a text string?

Hi!

Try this:

Select the range of cells in question.
Goto DataText to Columns
Select Delimited
Next
Select Other and in the little box to the right enter - (enter a dash)
Next
Click inside the column where it shows all the browns
Then select Do not import column (skip)
Do the same thing for the next column to the right
Finish

Biff