ExcelBanter

-   -   insert date (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/95741-insert-date.html)

Larry June 23rd 06 03:41 PM

insert date

Hi folks,
I'd like to inset a date automatically when ever a cell within a single
column is selected.
Can I do this?

CLR June 23rd 06 04:08 PM

insert date

A couple of questions.....
1-Are you wanting today's date inserted in an empty cell whenever it's
selected in a certain column?
2-What would you like to have happen to cells in that column being selected
that already contain a date, or some other value?

You can do nearly as good by just holding down the Ctrl key and pressing the
semicolon key.........this will insert today's date in the selected cell.

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

Toppers June 23rd 06 04:10 PM

insert date

Larry,
A worksheet event would handle this.

Take a look at

Come back if you need more help.

Larry June 23rd 06 08:58 PM

insert date

Hey, I appreciate the help. I have been using the ctrl key, I have folks that
don't seem to be able to remember this feature. The cells with existing past
dates should remain unchanged, only the newest empty cell will be selected,
if it auto populated the date it would make some others happy. Thanks for the
feedback!

Larry June 23rd 06 09:05 PM

insert date

Thanks CLR,
ans: yes and old dates remain.
Some of the folks usimng it can't seem to remember the ctrl ; keys. Thanks
for the help

CLR June 26th 06 12:53 PM

insert date

This Change-event macro should do the job automatically......if the user
selects a cell in column that has a value therein, no affect.....if the cell
is blank, the macro will insert todays date.

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
'Automatically inserts today's date in cell in column A when selected
'if the cell was empty. Does not overwrite occupied cell.
If ActiveCell.Column = 1 Then 'Limits macro action to column A
If ActiveCell.Value = "" Then 'Check to see if Target cell empty
Selection.Value = Date 'Insert today's date in Target cell
Else
End If
Else
End If
End Sub

Larry June 26th 06 01:36 PM

insert date

Thanks again for the great help, I'll try this right away; I take it I
replace the A with C to change target column? Take care, larry

CLR June 26th 06 01:49 PM

insert date

Actually, to change from column A to column C, you would change the line
from:
If ActiveCell.Column = 1
To:
If ActiveCell.Column = 3

The two "columnA" in the notations can be changed also, but are only
comments and do not affect the operation

Vaya con Dios
Chuck, CABGx3

Larry June 27th 06 01:36 PM

insert date

Goodmorning Chuck,
I have been trying to get the code you posted to work in my workbook but so
far have not. I did change the "1" to a "3", that's all. I pasted this code
into the "This workbook" with some other code I have:

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
'Automatically inserts today's date in cell in column C when selected
'if the cell was empty. Does not overwrite occupied cell.
If ActiveCell.Column = 3 Then 'Limits macro action to column C
If ActiveCell.Value = "" Then 'Check to see if Target cell empty
Selection.Value = Date 'Insert today's date in Target cell
Else
End If
Else
End If

Sub Workbook_Open()
Columns("E:IV").Select
Selection.EntireColumn.Hidden = True
MsgBox "If you are entering a new waiver item, go ahead and enter it in the
next open line. When you are ready for a waiver number click in the empty box
and it will take you to the new waiver number generator; Follow the
instructions in the box there. To get a current date just select the empty
date box and hold down the Ctrl and ; keys, a new date will appear! When you
are done just click the RED X at the upper right to close, it will
automatically save your entries and the next time you need a number for any
waiver card the same steps will be taken: YOU NEED TO CLICK OK TO START
ENTERING DATA"
ThisWorkbook.Save
End Sub
noJoy

I then placed it into an existing module 1above this code:

Sub Workbook_Open()
Columns("B:B").Select
Range("B3").Activate
ActiveSheet.Hyperlinks.Add Anchor:=Selection, Address:="WAIVER%20NO.xls", _
TextToDisplay:=""

End Sub\
again, no joy
I next created a new module and pasted there and still no luck.

I am just too much of a novice to do this in a timely manner; Any more help?
Thanks man. larry

To: