-   -   How do I insert a symbol AT THE END of text for multiple cells in Excel? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/94764-how-do-i-insert-symbol-end-text-multiple-cells-excel.html)

[email protected]

How do I insert a symbol AT THE END of text for multiple cells in Excel?

I'm trying to add a double quotation at the end of all text entries in
a column and I have over 1000 entries. Can somebody tell me how do I
do this? It would be much appreciated. Thanks.

oteixeira

How do I insert a symbol AT THE END of text for multiple cells in Excel?

Hello.
1.Just write the double quotation in a empty cell.
2.In a column in front of your data enter a formula:

+<The first cell of your data range&<Cell where you wrote the double
quotation
3.Fix ($) the reference to the cell containing the double quotation.
4.Copy this cell until the end of your data.
5.Don't forget to transform you new data in Values.

Hope this helps

--
oteixeira
oteixeira's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35320

doiley6167

How do I insert a symbol AT THE END of text for multiple cells in Excel?

Thx for the promt response. I am quite a noobie when it comes to
excel. What do you mean by fix the reference in 3)

Thx

oteixeira wrote:
Hello.
1.Just write the double quotation in a empty cell.
2.In a column in front of your data enter a formula:

+<The first cell of your data range&<Cell where you wrote the double
quotation
3.Fix ($) the reference to the cell containing the double quotation.
4.Copy this cell until the end of your data.
5.Don't forget to transform you new data in Values.

Hope this helps

--
oteixeira
oteixeira's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35320
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=553224

Gord Dibben

How do I insert a symbol AT THE END of text for multiple cells in Excel?

"Fix the reference" means add $ signs to the cell reference to keep it Absolute
as opposed to Relative. See Help on this subject.

Assuming G1 contains the "

Column A contains the text entries.

In B1 enter =A1 & $G$1 then double-click on the fill handle of B1 to copy down
to end of data in Column A.

The A1 will increment but $G$1 will not.

When happy, select column B and copy.

Paste Special(in place)ValuesOKEsc

Clear the contents of G1 and delete Column A

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP