-   -   Formula bar doesn't have an equal sign (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/94450-formula-bar-doesnt-have-equal-sign.html)

Joes Auto Pat

Formula bar doesn't have an equal sign

I am an old die hard. Just updated from Office 97 to Office xp. Believe me
I'm no whiz.

The function bar in 97 had and x a checkmark and and equal sign. This
totaled all figures in the cell. Now I only have a fx and I have no idea how
to simply get it to total.

Also my cell formulas have changed. I get the correct answer, but do I make
a new formula the old way or a new way.

Thanks,

Pat

kassie

Formula bar doesn't have an equal sign

Nowadays, you start your formula with an = sign. to sum, click on the SUM
icon, or type in =SUM(<your starting cell ref:<your ending ref), eg
=SUM(B1:B15)
You can also use the fx icon to use a wizard to assist you.