-   -   Passing a WorkSheet from a Function??? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/93594-passing-worksheet-function.html)

Mac Lingo

Passing a WorkSheet from a Function???

I call the following function. It gets the correct Sheet in the
function, but the argument that Function passes
in
Set VARIABLE = Get_Sheet(...)
says "<No Variables" when I look at it in "Watch".

Function Get_Sheet(DirName, FileName, SheetName) As Worksheet
Workbooks(DirName, FileName).Open
Set Get_Sheet = Workbooks(FileName).Sheets(SheetName)
Workbooks(FileName).Close
End Function ' Get_Sheet

Any idea it doesn't work?

Tnx, Mac
Berkeley, CA

JMB

Passing a WorkSheet from a Function???

I had to change to open statement to

Workbooks.Open (DirName & FileName)

to work on my machine, but if it works fine on yours (are using Mac?)

Anyway, try not closing the source workbook, that seemed to work for me.

"Mac Lingo" wrote:

I call the following function. It gets the correct Sheet in the
function, but the argument that Function passes
in
Set VARIABLE = Get_Sheet(...)
says "<No Variables" when I look at it in "Watch".

Function Get_Sheet(DirName, FileName, SheetName) As Worksheet
Workbooks(DirName, FileName).Open
Set Get_Sheet = Workbooks(FileName).Sheets(SheetName)
Workbooks(FileName).Close
End Function ' Get_Sheet

Any idea it doesn't work?

Tnx, Mac
Berkeley, CA

JMB

Passing a WorkSheet from a Function???

Didn't catch the username first time around - never mind the first question!

"Mac Lingo" wrote:

I call the following function. It gets the correct Sheet in the
function, but the argument that Function passes
in
Set VARIABLE = Get_Sheet(...)
says "<No Variables" when I look at it in "Watch".

Function Get_Sheet(DirName, FileName, SheetName) As Worksheet
Workbooks(DirName, FileName).Open
Set Get_Sheet = Workbooks(FileName).Sheets(SheetName)
Workbooks(FileName).Close
End Function ' Get_Sheet

Any idea it doesn't work?

Tnx, Mac
Berkeley, CA

Bob Phillips

Passing a WorkSheet from a Function???

If you close the workbook that the Get_Sheet variable is pointing to, the
reference is destroyed. So what are you trying to do exactly?

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

.com...