-   -   lookups and match (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/93506-lookups-match.html)

Lisa

lookups and match

Hi. I'm trying to do a lookup in a table; however, I'm stuck. I tried doing a
match and index, but I can't get it to work.

IE... For Product A, Vendor 2 would charge ____? And so forth.

Vendor
Product 1 2 3
A $5 $7 $9
B $8 $7 $6

Thanks so much,
Lisa

Don Guillett

lookups and match

more details on your problem along with examples of what you tried.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Lisa" wrote in message
Hi. I'm trying to do a lookup in a table; however, I'm stuck. I tried
doing a
match and index, but I can't get it to work.

IE... For Product A, Vendor 2 would charge ____? And so forth.

Vendor
Product 1 2 3
A $5 $7 $9
B $8 $7 $6

Thanks so much,
Lisa

Toppers

lookups and match

=INDEX($B$2:$D$3,MATCH(F1,$A$2:$A$3,0),MATCH(F2,$B $1:$D$1,0))

where F1 = Product
F2 = Vendor
$B$1:$D$1 are the vendors
$B$2:$D$3 are your prices
$A$2:$A$3 are the Products

HTH

"Lisa" wrote in message
Hi. I'm trying to do a lookup in a table; however, I'm stuck. I tried
doing a
match and index, but I can't get it to work.

IE... For Product A, Vendor 2 would charge ____? And so forth.

Vendor
Product 1 2 3
A $5 $7 $9
B $8 $7 $6

Thanks so much,
Lisa

Chip Pearson

lookups and match

Lisa,

Assuming that your product names are in column A starting in row
2, and vendor numbers are in row 1, use a formula like

=OFFSET(A1,MATCH("a",A2:A10,0),MATCH(2,B1:D1,0))

This will look up product "a" and vendor 2.

See the Double Lookups section at
www.cpearson.com/excel/lookups.htm for more details on various
techniques to look up data in tables.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Lisa" wrote in message
Hi. I'm trying to do a lookup in a table; however, I'm stuck. I
tried doing a
match and index, but I can't get it to work.

IE... For Product A, Vendor 2 would charge ____? And so forth.

Vendor
Product 1 2 3
A $5 $7 $9
B $8 $7 $6

Thanks so much,
Lisa

Lisa

lookups and match

You're the best. Thanks so much!

"Lisa" wrote in message
Hi. I'm trying to do a lookup in a table; however, I'm stuck. I tried
doing a
match and index, but I can't get it to work.

IE... For Product A, Vendor 2 would charge ____? And so forth.

Vendor
Product 1 2 3
A $5 $7 $9
B $8 $7 $6

Thanks so much,
Lisa

Lisa

lookups and match

Thanks. I couldn't get this to work, but Topper's worked. Thanks again for
your help. :-)

"Lisa" wrote in message
Hi. I'm trying to do a lookup in a table; however, I'm stuck. I
tried doing a
match and index, but I can't get it to work.

IE... For Product A, Vendor 2 would charge ____? And so forth.

Vendor
Product 1 2 3
A $5 $7 $9
B $8 $7 $6

Thanks so much,
Lisa

Alan Beban

lookups and match

Lisa wrote:
Hi. I'm trying to do a lookup in a table; however, I'm stuck. I tried doing a
match and index, but I can't get it to work.

IE... For Product A, Vendor 2 would charge ____? And so forth.

Vendor
Product 1 2 3
A $5 $7 $9
B $8 $7 $6

Thanks so much,
Lisa

Excel's Intersection Operator (a space) is designed for this purpose.

Highlight your table and click Insert|Name|Create and check Top row,
Left column.

Then, e.g., =ProductA Vendor2 will return the corresponding price

Note that the product names and vendor names need to be in a form
acceptable for range names in a worksheet.

Alan Beban