-   -   Returning column header as result (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/92910-returning-column-header-result.html)

Patricia

Returning column header as result

I have a mileage table exported out of Map Point and into Excel. I have a
formula to return the minimum mileage but I also need to return the city in
the column next to the formula. I'd also like to find the next closest city.
Any help will be appreciated.

Min Formula - =MIN(AI2:CY2)

Columns look like:
Closest Min Dist Amusement Chicago Cincinnati Cleveland
Springfield
2 Field Museum 2 200
400 150
xx Six Flags, Gurney xx xxx
xxx xxx
xxx Six Flags, St. Louis xx xxx
xxx xxx

Toppers

Returning column header as result

Try:

=INDEX($AI$1:$CY$1,1,MATCH(MIN($AI2:$CY2),$AI2:$CY 2,0))

You can substitute MIN($AI2:$CY2) with cell which contains this value

HTH

"Patricia" wrote:

I have a mileage table exported out of Map Point and into Excel. I have a
formula to return the minimum mileage but I also need to return the city in
the column next to the formula. I'd also like to find the next closest city.
Any help will be appreciated.

Min Formula - =MIN(AI2:CY2)

Columns look like:
Closest Min Dist Amusement Chicago Cincinnati Cleveland
Springfield
2 Field Museum 2 200
400 150
xx Six Flags, Gurney xx xxx
xxx xxx
xxx Six Flags, St. Louis xx xxx
xxx xxx

Patricia

Returning column header as result

Thanks, I had tried the index but had problems with the matching and min in
my formula.

Do you know how to get the next minimum number?

"Patricia" wrote:

I have a mileage table exported out of Map Point and into Excel. I have a
formula to return the minimum mileage but I also need to return the city in
the column next to the formula. I'd also like to find the next closest city.
Any help will be appreciated.

Min Formula - =MIN(AI2:CY2)

Columns look like:
Closest Min Dist Amusement Chicago Cincinnati Cleveland
Springfield
2 Field Museum 2 200
400 150
xx Six Flags, Gurney xx xxx
xxx xxx
xxx Six Flags, St. Louis xx xxx
xxx xxx

Toppers

Returning column header as result

You could use the SMALL function:

=SMALL(AI2:CY2,2) will give 2nd smallest number

=SMALL(AI2:CY2,1) will give smallest number (instead of MIN)

HTH

"Patricia" wrote:

I have a mileage table exported out of Map Point and into Excel. I have a
formula to return the minimum mileage but I also need to return the city in
the column next to the formula. I'd also like to find the next closest city.
Any help will be appreciated.

Min Formula - =MIN(AI2:CY2)

Columns look like:
Closest Min Dist Amusement Chicago Cincinnati Cleveland
Springfield
2 Field Museum 2 200
400 150
xx Six Flags, Gurney xx xxx
xxx xxx
xxx Six Flags, St. Louis xx xxx
xxx xxx

Patricia

Returning column header as result

Toppers,

Thank you so very much. This is exactly what I needed to not only bring a
summary of the two closest items but also what those items are!.

Patricia