-   -   Retrieve specific date from one row of one column that is changing (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/92906-retrieve-specific-date-one-row-one-column-changing.html)

lpdc

Retrieve specific date from one row of one column that is changing

How do I pull a specific cost center number from column B to line up with an
account also in column B. For example I have a list of accounts followed by
the cost center that I need to tie to the account associated with the cost
center. The number of accounts and cost centers are changing as I go down
through column B.

Example:
Column A Column B
51000004 CONSUMPTION-MAINTENANCE PARTS
71000000 MAINTENANCE
71000047 MAINTENANCE SERVICES
71080002 DEPRECIATION - PLANTS
71190070 I/C - PRINT SHOP CHARGES
598006 TNY - NB LINE #2
51000004 CONSUMPTION-MAINTENANCE PARTS
71000000 MAINTENANCE
71000047 MAINTENANCE SERVICES
71010000 SUPPLIES
71080002 DEPRECIATION - PLANTS
71080004 DEPRECIATION - OFFICE
598007 TNY - NB LINE #3
51000004 CONSUMPTION-MAINTENANCE PARTS
71000000 MAINTENANCE
71000047 MAINTENANCE SERVICES
71040002 MACHINE RENT
71080002 DEPRECIATION - PLANTS
71190040 PRODUCTION COSTS-OVERHEAD
598008 TNY - CHARLIE #6 BAKERY

The cost centers are the six digit numbers I would like to have the cost
center in column A next the the account.

Clear as mud I know,

lpdc

lpdc

Retrieve specific date from one row of one column that is changing

Can anybody help me with this? Or do you need further clarification?

"lpdc" wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson

Retrieve specific date from one row of one column that is changing

I inserted a new column A.

With your test data, the data went to row 20.
On the lastrow (I'm gonna use 20, so it's Cell A20), put this formula:
=b20
Then in one row up (A19), put this formula:
=IF(LEN(B19)=6,B19,A20)

And drag it up to the top of the column.

It looked like this when I was done:

598006 51000004 CONSUMPTION-MAINTENANCE PARTS
598006 71000000 MAINTENANCE
598006 71000047 MAINTENANCE SERVICES
598006 71080002 DEPRECIATION - PLANTS
598006 71190070 I/C - PRINT SHOP CHARGES
598006 598006 TNY - NB LINE #2
598007 51000004 CONSUMPTION-MAINTENANCE PARTS
598007 71000000 MAINTENANCE
598007 71000047 MAINTENANCE SERVICES
598007 71010000 SUPPLIES
598007 71080002 DEPRECIATION - PLANTS
598007 71080004 DEPRECIATION - OFFICE
598007 598007 TNY - NB LINE #3
598008 51000004 CONSUMPTION-MAINTENANCE PARTS
598008 71000000 MAINTENANCE
598008 71000047 MAINTENANCE SERVICES
598008 71040002 MACHINE RENT
598008 71080002 DEPRECIATION - PLANTS
598008 71190040 PRODUCTION COSTS-OVERHEAD
598008 598008 TNY - CHARLIE #6 BAKERY

--

Dave Peterson