-   -   Automatic formatting problem in Excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/9242-automatic-formatting-problem-excel.html)

Hook

Automatic formatting problem in Excel

I have a number of different groups with multiple individuals in each. Each
group and the members within it are indentified by the text color of the id
number . For example: If an individual is in Group A, his identification
number might be in red text, Group B's folks might be green, etc. My
question is this:

Is there any way to change the text color of the id number, on the fly, to
the correct group color. In other words: I would like to be able to type in
Mr X's id # and have the system know, by looking at some sort of formatting
statement or whatever, that Mr X should be blue and change the text color
accordingly. Have tried conditional formatting. However, it only allows
three condtions and I have more groups than that to be identified, I couldn't
make it work. Could be my lack of sophistication too, I'm sure. Thanks for
any help. (version 11.1 2004 Mac)

Peo Sjoblom

One way

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/event.htm#case

you should be able to edit the macro to fit your needs

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Hook" wrote:

[...]

Thanks very much. I'll give it a go.

Hook

"Hook" wrote:

I have a number of different groups with multiple individuals in =

each.=20
Each=20
group and the members within it are indentified by the text color of =

the=20
id=20
number . For example: If an individual is in Group A, his =

identification=20
number might be in red text, Group B's folks might be green, etc. My =

question is this:
=20
Is there any way to change the text color of the id number, on the =

fly, to=20
the correct group color. In other words: I would like to be able to =

type in=20
Mr X's id # and have the system know, by looking at some sort of=20

formatting=20
statement or whatever, that Mr X should be blue and change the text=20

color=20
accordingly. Have tried conditional formatting. However, it only =

allows=20
three condtions and I have more groups than that to be identified, I=20

couldn't=20
make it work. Could be my lack of sophistication too, I'm sure. =

Thanks=20
for=20
any help. (version 11.1 2004 Mac)

.