-   -   Calculate polynomial curve (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/92286-calculate-polynomial-curve.html)

ronbrosh111

Calculate polynomial curve

I'm trying to calculate the polynomial curve of a dataset (y values, x
values). This is essentially what an XY scatter chart does, thought I'd like
to see the exact coefficients. Are there statistical functions that
accomplish this?

Thanks!

Ron

Mike Middleton

Calculate polynomial curve

Ron -

(1) Use the array-entered LINEST worksheet function (see Help for
assistance), e.g.,

=LINEST(y-range, x-range^{1,2,3})

(2) Enter the x, x^2, x^3, ... data in adjacent columns on a worksheet, and
use the Regression tool of the Analysis ToolPak. You'll get the LINEST
results (and more) in formatted output.

- Mike
www.mikemiddleton.com