Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Texas-DC_271

Default Help adding text values

I have a row of cells that I need to add. The row of cells do not
contain a number but rather a text value. I have created a table
linking my text values to my number values. The problem I have is
that each cell to be added may or may not have a value that is in the
table and I need the function to over look that problem.

Say I have 7 cells. Three of the cells are blank (or null), one of
the cells value is S4, another cells value is S8, and the other two
cells have a value of A8 and A9 respectively.
I need to add all of the cells but only want the values of the cells
that have a text value that starts with "A". The other cells should
be looked at as "0"

I have tried to use VLOOKUP but I would have to have over 38 different
VLOOKUP functions to add, and that is not working too well for me.

Is there an easer way that I just can't see?

DATA

S4 = 4
S8 = 8
A8 = 8