-   -   ranking a colum of numbers (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/91992-ranking-colum-numbers.html)

Genchaos

ranking a colum of numbers

If I have a series of numbers going down column H and I want to have them
ranked from highest to lowest in column D How do I do that?

For example

Column D Column H
6 500
5 600
3 800
2 900
4 700
1 1000

Anyone be able to help me out? Thanks

Bob Phillips

ranking a colum of numbers

=rank(H1,$H$1,$H$6)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Genchaos" wrote in message
If I have a series of numbers going down column H and I want to have them
ranked from highest to lowest in column D How do I do that?

For example

Column D Column H
6 500
5 600
3 800
2 900
4 700
1 1000

Anyone be able to help me out? Thanks

Genchaos

ranking a colum of numbers

Thank you........but I'm a big time newb at this and tried to use that
formula but it's givingme one in every column. Were and how do I paste
formula for it to work

Thanks again

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=rank(H1,$H$1,$H$6)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Genchaos" wrote in message
If I have a series of numbers going down column H and I want to have them
ranked from highest to lowest in column D How do I do that?

For example

Column D Column H
6 500
5 600
3 800
2 900
4 700
1 1000

Anyone be able to help me out? Thanks

Bob Phillips

ranking a colum of numbers

Type that formula in D1, and copy down to D6

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Genchaos" wrote in message
Thank you........but I'm a big time newb at this and tried to use that
formula but it's givingme one in every column. Were and how do I paste
formula for it to work

Thanks again

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=rank(H1,$H$1,$H$6)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Genchaos" wrote in message
If I have a series of numbers going down column H and I want to have

them
ranked from highest to lowest in column D How do I do that?

For example

Column D Column H
6 500
5 600
3 800
2 900
4 700
1 1000

Anyone be able to help me out? Thanks

Saruman

ranking a colum of numbers

Click in one of the cells of the data, any one it doesnt matter.

Go to Data, Sort.

In the Sort By Field select Column D (If you have Column headings, then
select the header row in the My Data Has area)

Ensure the Ascending Radio Button is selected and click OK

This would also work using Column H as well but selecting the Descending
radio button

KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid

--
Saruman
All Outgoing Mail Scanned By Norton Antivirus 2003