-   -   excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/9189-excel.html)

Blessingspoint

excel

What is the formula for dividing a number by 4 in excel

Peo Sjoblom

You already got at least 2 answers to your previous posts

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Blessingspoint" wrote:

What is the formula for dividing a number by 4 in excel

Blessingspoint

Sorry about that posted 3 times.. I have tried to use it in this way with out
any luck what am I doing wrong? =a1/4*(G19)

"Blessingspoint" wrote:

What is the formula for dividing a number by 4 in excel

Chip Pearson

Your formula should work as written. What problem are you
encountering? What is in cell A1 and cell G19?

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Blessingspoint" wrote
in message

"Blessingspoint" wrote:

What is the formula for dividing a number by 4 in excel

CyberTaz

Hello;

Your formula is not taking the order of operations into account.

Try this:

=(a1/4)*g19

The way you wrote it [=a1/4*(G19)], g19 was being mulitiplied by 4 and a1
was being divided by the result.

You might want to look at this topic in Excel Help: About calculation
operators

"Blessingspoint" wrote:

What is the formula for dividing a number by 4 in excel

Myrna Larson

The way you wrote it [=a1/4*(G19)], g19 was being mulitiplied by 4 and a1
was being divided by the result.

You might want to look at this topic in Excel Help: About calculation
operators

Not true. A1 is divided by 4, then the result multiplied by G19.

WRT precedence, as it says in Help, multiplication and division have the same
priority and "if a formula contains both a multiplication and division
operator — Excel evaluates the operators from left to right".

He wrote =A1/4*(G19). That is the same as =A1/4*G19, which evaluates as I
described above. If that's what's wanted, no parentheses are required.

Parentheses are needed only if you want to do what you have described, but the
the formula for that would be =A1/(4*G19), with the 4 inside the parentheses.