-   -   Looking for a function to count alpha values in a range. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/91348-looking-function-count-alpha-values-range.html)

osmosys

Looking for a function to count alpha values in a range.

Hey,

I'm looking for the right function that will look through a range and
tell me how many times it sees a particular non-numerical value.

For instance say I have these names in a column:

John
Ted
Andrew
John

The function would go through and count all the values for me and give
me this:

Total John: 2
Total Ted: 1
Total Andrew: 1

This would make it so I don't have to count each instance by myself.

Can excel do this?

Thanks

-osmosys

--
osmosys
osmosys's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34952

Toppers

Looking for a function to count alpha values in a range.

=COUNTIF(A1:100,"John")

OR

=COUNTIF(A1:A4,B1) where B1="John"
HTH

"osmosys" wrote:

[...]

CLR

Looking for a function to count alpha values in a range.

="John "&COUNTIF(A:A,"John")&CHAR(10)&"Ted
"&COUNTIF(A:A,"Ted")&CHAR(10)&"Andrew "&COUNTIF(A:A,"Andrew")

Format the cell for WarpText

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"osmosys" wrote:

[...]

Hey I tried this out and it works great.

COUNTIF rules