-   -   Adding number to a cell reference not to the contents (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/91024-adding-number-cell-reference-not-contents.html)

Go Buckeyes!

Adding number to a cell reference not to the contents

I want to create a formula that will refer to the cell I want by adding a
number to the cell reference, not to the contents of the cell. For example,
lets say that the cell C11 holds a value of 22. I want to add 4 to C11 to
get my formula to reference cell C15, I don't want it to add 4 to the
contents of C11 which is 22 and would give me a result of 26. I have a large
spreadsheet and I can't just fill down the way I have it now and I don't want
to have to retype the formula everytime.

Matt Lunn

"Go Buckeyes!" wrote:

I want to create a formula that will refer to the cell I want by adding a
number to the cell reference, not to the contents of the cell. For example,
lets say that the cell C11 holds a value of 22. I want to add 4 to C11 to
get my formula to reference cell C15, I don't want it to add 4 to the
contents of C11 which is 22 and would give me a result of 26. I have a large
spreadsheet and I can't just fill down the way I have it now and I don't want
to have to retype the formula everytime.

Hi,
One way is...

In Cell A1 type C, in Cell A2 type 11 (or whichever cells you want). Your
formula is then =INDIRECT(A1&A2).

HTH!

Change the value in A2 as appropriate