-   -   Using IF formula to show what text is in the cell from ddown list (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/90428-using-if-formula-show-what-text-cell-ddown-list.html)

Clark

Using IF formula to show what text is in the cell from ddown list

Here is what I need to accomplish:

In cell A1, I want a formula to read another cell, say E5.
Cell E5 is a drop down list with only two choices
If it is choice one, then I want cell A1 to display a "T"
If it is choice two, then I want cell A1 to display a "D".

I am trying to figure out the right combination of ISTEXT and IF statements
to make this work.

Clark

Roger Govier

Using IF formula to show what text is in the cell from ddown list

Hi Clark

One way
=IF (E5="choice one","T","D")
Substitute for "choice one" whatever is the first value in your 2
available choices for cell E5

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Clark" wrote in message
Here is what I need to accomplish:

In cell A1, I want a formula to read another cell, say E5.
Cell E5 is a drop down list with only two choices
If it is choice one, then I want cell A1 to display a "T"
If it is choice two, then I want cell A1 to display a "D".

I am trying to figure out the right combination of ISTEXT and IF
statements
to make this work.

Clark

Bob Phillips

Using IF formula to show what text is in the cell from ddown list

=IF(E5="choice1","T","D")

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Clark" wrote in message
Here is what I need to accomplish:

In cell A1, I want a formula to read another cell, say E5.
Cell E5 is a drop down list with only two choices
If it is choice one, then I want cell A1 to display a "T"
If it is choice two, then I want cell A1 to display a "D".

I am trying to figure out the right combination of ISTEXT and IF

statements
to make this work.

Clark

Clark

Using IF formula to show what text is in the cell from ddown l

Thanks Guys, I figured it out and it reads:

=IF(('Jan 07'!E8="Tentative"),"T",IF(('Jan 07'!E8="Definite"),"D",""))

That way it stays blank if nothing is chosen on the list.

Clark

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=IF(E5="choice1","T","D")

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Clark" wrote in message
Here is what I need to accomplish:

In cell A1, I want a formula to read another cell, say E5.
Cell E5 is a drop down list with only two choices
If it is choice one, then I want cell A1 to display a "T"
If it is choice two, then I want cell A1 to display a "D".

I am trying to figure out the right combination of ISTEXT and IF

statements
to make this work.

Clark

Roger Govier

Using IF formula to show what text is in the cell from ddown l

Hi Clark

That being the case, then it can be made even simpler, with no IF's
required
=LEFT('Jan O7'!E8)

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Clark" wrote in message
Thanks Guys, I figured it out and it reads:

=IF(('Jan 07'!E8="Tentative"),"T",IF(('Jan 07'!E8="Definite"),"D",""))

That way it stays blank if nothing is chosen on the list.

Clark

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=IF(E5="choice1","T","D")

--