-   -   If contains specific alpha (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/8976-if-contains-specific-alpha.html)

Spunky

If contains specific alpha

The field may have a dash, comma, space or alpha. I want an IF statement
that will return a value if the field contains the letters DOF anywhere
within the field.

Tom Ogilvy

Look at help on the Find and Search worksheet functions.

Tom Ogilvy

"Spunky" wrote in message
The field may have a dash, comma, space or alpha. I want an IF statement
that will return a value if the field contains the letters DOF anywhere
within the field.

Don Guillett

try
=IF(ISERR(FIND("dof",F11)),"",2)

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Spunky" wrote in message
The field may have a dash, comma, space or alpha. I want an IF statement
that will return a value if the field contains the letters DOF anywhere
within the field.

Spunky

Didn't work, I made the adjustments for cell reference, it seemed to work but
it returned my value for true even in fields that did not contain DOF.

Exa. of cell contents:
ORDER FORM RTL-ACCENT
ECHOES DOF - SUMMER

"Don Guillett" wrote:

try
=IF(ISERR(FIND("dof",F11)),"",2)

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Spunky" wrote in message
The field may have a dash, comma, space or alpha. I want an IF statement
that will return a value if the field contains the letters DOF anywhere
within the field.

Tim C

Try capitalizing DOF.

=IF(ISERR(FIND("DOF",F11)),"",2)

Tim C

"Spunky" wrote in message
Didn't work, I made the adjustments for cell reference, it seemed to work
but
it returned my value for true even in fields that did not contain DOF.

Exa. of cell contents:
ORDER FORM RTL-ACCENT
ECHOES DOF - SUMMER

"Don Guillett" wrote:

try
=IF(ISERR(FIND("dof",F11)),"",2)

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Spunky" wrote in message
The field may have a dash, comma, space or alpha. I want an IF
statement
that will return a value if the field contains the letters DOF anywhere
within the field.

Aladin Akyurek

1]

=COUNTIF(A1,"*DOF*")*10

would return 10 (a numeric return value) if CountIf successful, otherwise 0.

2]

=IF(COUNTIF(A1,"*DOF*"),ReturnVal,"")

would return the specified return value, otherwise nothing.

Spunky wrote:
The field may have a dash, comma, space or alpha. I want an IF statement
that will return a value if the field contains the letters DOF anywhere
within the field.

Spunky

=IF(ISERR(FIND("DOF",G47)),"MKT",2)
Nope, still copies same text in every field down the column.
Appreciate your persistance.

Exa.:
MKT SOMEONE I LOVED DIED
MKT FAMILY R/P DOF - SUMMER

"Tim C" wrote:

Try capitalizing DOF.

=IF(ISERR(FIND("DOF",F11)),"",2)

Tim C

"Spunky" wrote in message
Didn't work, I made the adjustments for cell reference, it seemed to work
but
it returned my value for true even in fields that did not contain DOF.

Exa. of cell contents:
ORDER FORM RTL-ACCENT
ECHOES DOF - SUMMER

"Don Guillett" wrote:

try
=IF(ISERR(FIND("dof",F11)),"",2)

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Spunky" wrote in message
The field may have a dash, comma, space or alpha. I want an IF
statement
that will return a value if the field contains the letters DOF anywhere
within the field.

Myrna Larson

Find is case-sensitive. Your cell contains DOF, the formula dof. They
shouldn't match. For me they don't. The formula

=IF(ISERR(SEARCH("dof",F11)),"",2)

gives the correct results.

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:01:03 -0800, Spunky
wrote:

Didn't work, I made the adjustments for cell reference, it seemed to work but
it returned my value for true even in fields that did not contain DOF.

Exa. of cell contents:
ORDER FORM RTL-ACCENT
ECHOES DOF - SUMMER

"Don Guillett" wrote: