-   -   Formula Help (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/88884-formula-help.html)

oldbiscaya

Formula Help

Hello
I wonder if anyone can help me with this problem please.
I have and excel file that is used to monitor the progress of some 200
products, when they come into the shop for servicing and repair.

Sheet 1 consists of customer details, product and serial number.
Sheet 2 is the complete list of products and serial numbers.
Sheet 3 consists 20 of the top priority products.

I would like to put a formula by the side of the product serial number
in sheet 3, to search sheet 1 Column J for corresponding serial number
and same row column A for a negative number if found, show “In”. The
product serial number is made up of numbers and letters.

Thanks

--
oldbiscaya
oldbiscaya's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34419

LTUser54

Formula Help

You can use VLOOKUP across worksheets, but I donno how to do 2 separate
columns - maybe nest it with an IF function?

this might work on Sheet 3 (assumes Col. S has the serial number):

=VLOOKUP(s1,Sheet1!J$1:J$200,1,FALSE)

This ONLY returns a matching Serial Number, and nothing else. If there
is no Serial Number match you get a "N/A" in the cell

Any slide rule kids out there know the real answer?

Hope this helps (half way).

Mark
Boston, MA

--