-   -   sumif statement (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/8835-sumif-statement.html)

Ted Metro

sumif statement

I have a big table of sales numbers broken out by month and by product across
the top, with customers on the left. So it looks something like this
starting at A1

column A B C D E
F G
Jan-04 Feb-04
Mar-04
widgets gidgets widgets gidgets
widgets gidgets
Customer A 6 4 5 3
8 3
Customer B 1 11 6 9
10 2

So I want a column at the end that will display the total by product.
So for Customer-A for widgets it would be B3+D3+F3, and for gidgets C3+E3+G3.

I tried a sumif and it worked for customer A, but not for customer B.
My sumif was -- =sumif($B$2:$G$2,"=widgets",$B3:$G3)

What is the formula I need so that I can build it and then copy it down?

JulieD

Hi Ted

as far as i can tell your formula should work .. i used your formula and
mine (as below) and both returned the same results:
=SUMIF($B$2:$G$2,"widgets",B3:G3)

could there be another problem - calculation set to manual (tools / options
/ calculation tab)??
Cheers
JulieD