-   -   Copy all records matching "Text" criteria to new worksheet (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/88280-copy-all-records-matching-text-criteria-new-worksheet.html)

StephenS

Copy all records matching "Text" criteria to new worksheet

I am trying to avoid having to learn Visual Basic to perform the following:

Scenario:

I am building a tool for "sales people" that are not very familiar with Excel.
Through an excel connector program I am able extract data from an external
database. Unfortunately, this query program is not able to get it to the
level that the user needs.

The average amount of records on a query is about 1,500. This is a complete
data dump of all the records of a user. I am trying to create a new
worksheet that contains only those records of a selected Industry. Industry
is one of the fields that are downloaded from the database dump.

I have played with the following functions:

VLOOKUP, INDEX, MATCH, OFFSET, etc.

I have also tried Pivot Tables and Advanced Filters. These are not working.
The first row of the data dump is above the header columns. This is a
limitation of the query program which requires that the query command be on
the first row. Therefore, the Header Columns are in the second row. I think
that is why Pivot Tables and Advanced Filters are not working.

When I use various combinations of the aforementioned functions, I can find
the first record of the occurance, but do not know how to incorporate an
offset variable from the first match into a function to locate the next match.

Is it possible to do the following?

* In the first cell of the target sheet, enter a function to locate the
first occurance and return the associated record/row (This is the easy part
that I have already done)
* Have a function in each following cell locate the next occurance and copy
the row over.

Thanks for any help or advise on this.

[email protected]

Copy all records matching "Text" criteria to new worksheet

Does it need to be a new worksheet? If the only requirement is to view
the data you want, then data, filter, autofilter would do it

Ardus Petus

Copy all records matching "Text" criteria to new worksheet

Automatic/Advanced filter is the evident solution.

Column headers may reside on any row.

I can't understand why this does not work by you.

Could you post sample data (or upload on http://cjoint.com and post the
link)

HTH
--
AP

StephenS

Copy all records matching "Text" criteria to new worksheet

Ardus and Aidan,

Thank you both for your responses. I am sorry it took so long to respond to
your advice. I have been away from my computer for a while. I will retry
the auto and advanced filter functions. If these don't work, I'll post
sample to the url that Ardus recommended.

Thanks.