-   -   count number of letters in a string (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/88153-count-number-letters-string.html)

Wiley

count number of letters in a string

How do I count the number of letters in a string? For example, the number
"W" in this string "WWWEEERRRWWDDR" is 5.

Peo Sjoblom

count number of letters in a string

=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"W",""))

with the string in A1

Peo Sjoblom

http://nwexcelsolutions.com

"Wiley" wrote in message
How do I count the number of letters in a string? For example, the number
"W" in this string "WWWEEERRRWWDDR" is 5.

Bob Phillips

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Wiley" wrote in message
How do I count the number of letters in a string? For example, the number
"W" in this string "WWWEEERRRWWDDR" is 5.

Ron Coderre

count number of letters in a string

Try this:

With A1 containing WWWEEERRRWWDDR