Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Mary

Default Cell Reference

Hello,
I have a master worksheet on which I have referenced cells from other
worksheets in my file. When I delete these other worksheets, I get a Ref#
error. How can I program the master worksheet to keep the reference intact so
that when worksheets are added back in, the reference is valid?
Thank you in advance for your reply,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Barb Reinhardt

Let's say your formula is:

=Sheet3!B9

It can be changed to
=INDIRECT("Sheet3!B9")

and you can delete Sheet3. THis will give you a place to start.

"Mary" wrote:

Hello,
I have a master worksheet on which I have referenced cells from other
worksheets in my file. When I delete these other worksheets, I get a Ref#
error. How can I program the master worksheet to keep the reference intact so
that when worksheets are added back in, the reference is valid?
Thank you in advance for your reply,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Brian Taylor

The only bummer about that is that you can't drag down the formula and
have it stay relative (B9,B10,B1,etc.) If you have a spreadsheet that
is hundreds of rows long that is a REAL bummer. Sometimes when working
with Indirects to get around this I also use the row() and column()
functions so you can drag it still. Something like:

=Indirect("Sheet3!B" & row())

Or row plus some amount if you need to tweak it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

Or the more robust

=INDIRECT("Sheet3!"&CELL("address",B9))

Peo Sjoblom

http://nwexcelsolutions.com

that way you won't get an erroneous result if there is a row inserted above
the formula
"Brian Taylor" wrote in message
oups.com...
The only bummer about that is that you can't drag down the formula and
have it stay relative (B9,B10,B1,etc.) If you have a spreadsheet that
is hundreds of rows long that is a REAL bummer. Sometimes when working
with Indirects to get around this I also use the row() and column()
functions so you can drag it still. Something like:

=Indirect("Sheet3!B" & row())

Or row plus some amount if you need to tweak it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Brian Taylor

Good call.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Mary

Hello Peo,
What is address?
Would this be an accurate example of your formula:
=INDIRECT("Sheet3!"&CELL("c:\filename.xls",B9)) ?
Thank you!!

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

Or the more robust

=INDIRECT("Sheet3!"&CELL("address",B9))

Peo Sjoblom

http://nwexcelsolutions.com

that way you won't get an erroneous result if there is a row inserted above
the formula
"Brian Taylor" wrote in message
oups.com...
The only bummer about that is that you can't drag down the formula and
have it stay relative (B9,B10,B1,etc.) If you have a spreadsheet that
is hundreds of rows long that is a REAL bummer. Sometimes when working
with Indirects to get around this I also use the row() and column()
functions so you can drag it still. Something like:

=Indirect("Sheet3!B" & row())

Or row plus some amount if you need to tweak it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

Actually "address" is part of the function so it is not the path of the
file, in this case it's just a way of being able to copy down/across a
formula and having the row/column to increase. You cannot use INDIRECT with
a closed file like in your example, the other workbook needs to be open

Peo Sjoblom

http://nwexcelsolutions.com