-   -   Finding Quotation marks in Search function (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/87910-finding-quotation-marks-search-function.html)

ahearn

Finding Quotation marks in Search function

I imported a member list into Excel in which I need to find any names or
addresses that have quotation marks (") in them. When I try use the search()
function it tells me the entry is invalid. Any ideas?

Peo Sjoblom

Finding Quotation marks in Search function

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...htm#hasformula

you would need VBA if you want to filter for that

Peo Sjoblom

http://nwexcelsolutions.com

"ahearn" wrote in message
I imported a member list into Excel in which I need to find any names or
addresses that have quotation marks (") in them. When I try use the
search()
function it tells me the entry is invalid. Any ideas?

Peo Sjoblom

Finding Quotation marks in Search function

Oops! Sorry, wrong post, the VBA was for the show formula question

However this works for me

=SEARCH("""",A1)

Peo Sjoblom

http://nwexcelsolutions.com

"ahearn" wrote in message
I imported a member list into Excel in which I need to find any names or
addresses that have quotation marks (") in them. When I try use the
search()
function it tells me the entry is invalid. Any ideas?

SteveG

Finding Quotation marks in Search function

To find a " in a text string, you can use SEARCH("""",A1,1).

If you wanted you could use a formula like =SEARCH("""",A1,1)0 in
Conditional Formatting and copy to the rest of your range to fill all
the cells containing quotation marks a color.

OR you could use the Auto Filter and select "Custom" and Contains " for
your filter criteria.

Do you want to remove these from the data or just identify them for
some reason?

If you could provide a little more info that would be helpful so you
get the solution you are looking for.

Regards,
Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7571

ahearn

Finding Quotation marks in Search function

Thanks. That works.

"SteveG" wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I only had one quotation mark within the double quotes which is why
it wasn't working for me.

Alan

"ahearn" wrote in message
I imported a member list into Excel in which I need to find any names or
addresses that have quotation marks (") in them. When I try use the
search()
function it tells me the entry is invalid. Any ideas?

inthestands

Finding Quotation marks in Search function

The easiest way I have found around the " problem. Is that I ctrl+c a
"(quotation mark). I then Ctrl+f, then Ctrl+v. And I then have the " in the
find what, section.
--
inthestands

"ahearn" wrote: