Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Irene

Default How to be noticed/to avoid equal values in a colum

Hi!

I am working on a excel sheet that has a long colum with string values.
I don't want the colum to contain any equal values.

When I write new string values to the colum sometimes I am allerted if
the value already excist (as I start writing the complete string appear
with what is left marked in black). This is good because then I know if
the value already excist in the colum and I don't retype it.
However, I am not always allerted and then I end up writing the same
value several times.

Does anyone know how I can deal with this problem as I dont want the
colun to contain any equal values? Thank you for all help.

Irene

--
Irene
Irene's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34269

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JE McGimpsey

See

http://cpearson.com/excel/NoDupEntry.htm

In article ,
Irene wrote:

Hi!

I am working on a excel sheet that has a long colum with string values.
I don't want the colum to contain any equal values.

When I write new string values to the colum sometimes I am allerted if
the value already excist (as I start writing the complete string appear
with what is left marked in black). This is good because then I know if
the value already excist in the colum and I don't retype it.
However, I am not always allerted and then I end up writing the same
value several times.

Does anyone know how I can deal with this problem as I dont want the
colun to contain any equal values? Thank you for all help.

Irene

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Irene

I can't get this to work.
I follow the given instructions but as I press the Error Alert tab i
get a message saying that my formula contain an error.

My list is currently in the range of B2:B1270 and each cell contains a
string value.
In the Data Validation box I choose Custom and type the formula:
=COUNTIF($B$2:$B$1270,B2)=1

Anyone know why???

Irene(almost desperate :)

--
Irene
Irene's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34269
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=540287

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dav

=COUNTIF($B$2:$B$1270,B2)1

I would conditionally format the cell using a formula, so in cell b2
use the above. then choose a colour say to trun it red. If you type a
duplicate the cell will turn red and you should notice it!

Regards

Dav

--
Dav
Dav's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27107

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Irene

I got the same error message again.
I have never done formatting in excel before so as a new beginner I
suspect I make some elementary mistake.

I have tried to do the formatting both with the Validation and through
the Conditional Formatting but maybe I am missing out on something
else.

Is there something else I must do before the formatting????

I have tried to highlight the cells in the range, highlight all cells
in the colum and no highlight of the cells before the formatting but it
doesnt seems to make a difference.

Irene

--
Irene
Irene's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34269
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=540287

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dav

Just select the first cell b2 in this instance. Sometimes excel puts the
formula in " " if this is the case they need to be removed and the
formula need to start with a = sign

once it works it can be copied down to the other cells with copy then
past special formats

Regards

Dav

--
Dav
Dav's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27107
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=540287

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Irene

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreshiate it :)

I don't know what I do wrong but I still can't get it to work. I will
try to detailed explained exactely what I am doing, maybe that will
help.

This is what I have,
A list with colum A and B with data ranging from row 2-1270, so
A1:B1270

As I make more entrance to the list (in colum *B*)I want to be allerted
if the value already excist.

I did the following:
Put the marker on cell B2.
Went to Conditional Formatting
Chose Formula Is
Typed in formula: =COUNTIF($B$2:$B$1270,B2)1
Chose to put the result in red color.

When I press OK the little (annoying) paper clip allert me that the
formula contains an error.
And this part of the fomula becomes highlighted: $B$1270,B2

--
Irene
Irene's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34269
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=540287

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Irene

I just found out what the problem was

The reason for why I couldn't get any of the formulas to work is
because I am using the Norwegian version of Excel and apparently I need
to use a semicolon(;) instead of the comma(,).

Glad to have figured this out:)