-   -   Converting Alphanumeric numbers to Numeric (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/87519-converting-alphanumeric-numbers-numeric.html)

Lowkey

Converting Alphanumeric numbers to Numeric

I have a file I exported from another program so that I can work with it and
the numbers export as text. I need to convert the text to numbers so that I
can count, sum, average, etc. I tried selecting and formatting to a variety
of different number formats and even copying and paste special as value and
number formats. Can anyone suggest a solution?

Pete_UK

Converting Alphanumeric numbers to Numeric

You could use a helper column and enter the formula:

=VALUE(A1)

and copy this down. You could fix the values using <copy, Edit | Paste
Special | Values | OK, and then paste the values to overwrite the
originals.

Another way is to enter a 0 into a blank cell, then <copy that cell,
then highlight all the cells that you want to convert and Edit | Paste
Special | Add | OK then <Esc.

Yet another way is to highlight the column(s) with numbers in, then
Data | Text-To-Columns and on the first panel click <Finish

Hope this helps.

Pete

Lowkey

Converting Alphanumeric numbers to Numeric

Paste special doesn't work for some reason as it was one of the first things
I tried, but I got there with Text to columns. Thanks.

"Pete_UK" wrote:

You could use a helper column and enter the formula:

=VALUE(A1)

and copy this down. You could fix the values using <copy, Edit | Paste
Special | Values | OK, and then paste the values to overwrite the
originals.

Another way is to enter a 0 into a blank cell, then <copy that cell,
then highlight all the cells that you want to convert and Edit | Paste
Special | Add | OK then <Esc.

Yet another way is to highlight the column(s) with numbers in, then
Data | Text-To-Columns and on the first panel click <Finish

Hope this helps.

Pete

Pete_UK

Converting Alphanumeric numbers to Numeric

You're welcome - thanks for feeding back.

Pete