Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
maryj

Default vlookup with search?

On one sheet I have a list of complete UPC codes. On another sheet, the UPC
codes are only partial numbers. I need to do a look up to match the partial
UPC with the full UPC.
--
maryj
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Iskus23

When using VLookups, if you leave the final field blank instead of saying
false, it will find fields that are close. See if this helps.

"maryj" wrote:

On one sheet I have a list of complete UPC codes. On another sheet, the UPC
codes are only partial numbers. I need to do a look up to match the partial
UPC with the full UPC.
--
maryj

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
maryj

Thanks - I tried that - it doesn't work. It does not always bring in the
correct result.
--
maryj

"maryj" wrote:

On one sheet I have a list of complete UPC codes. On another sheet, the UPC
codes are only partial numbers. I need to do a look up to match the partial
UPC with the full UPC.
--
maryj

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Iskus23

Do you have any other fields that would match exactly? Perhaps you could do
the Vlookup using one of those.

"maryj" wrote:

On one sheet I have a list of complete UPC codes. On another sheet, the UPC
codes are only partial numbers. I need to do a look up to match the partial
UPC with the full UPC.
--
maryj

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SteveG

Mary,

Try this.

=SUMPRODUCT((ISNUMBER(SEARCH(A1,Sheet3!$A$1:$A$4,1 )))*(Sheet3!$A$1:$A$4))

This is where A1 is your partial code and Sheet3!A1:A4 is your complete
codes. Copy this down your list of partials. This also assumes that
your partials will be unique to only one complete code.

Does that help?

Steve

--
SteveG