-   -   How do I get a letter to represent a number for scheduling? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/8710-how-do-i-get-letter-represent-number-scheduling.html)

Henry Elliott

How do I get a letter to represent a number for scheduling?

I am creating a schedule. I use letters to indicate the position that person
is working for that shift. For example: P=7.5 hour. M=7.75 hour S=6.5 hours
and so on. I need to keep track of the hours an employee works that week for
overtime is taboo. I want to use letters in the row the auto sum at the end
of the row for that week to determine if that employee has gone over 40 hours
that week. Is there a way for me to accomplish this???
Thank You for your help.

Henry Elliott

Peo Sjoblom

One way

=SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(A2:A6,{"P";"M";"S"}),{7.5;7.75 ;6.5})

where A2:A8 holds the worked week

adapt to fit to include the other shift keys

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom