-   -   excel- want to format cell formula to the file name (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/87091-excel-want-format-cell-formula-file-name.html)

jack_mel

excel- want to format cell formula to the file name

I am using excel for invoices & billing. The file name is the same as the
invoice number. how do I format a cell to do this automatically? Is there a
formula for this? and also, I also need to calculate time: say start time is
8:00am - finish time is 11:15am, is there a formula to caculate 3.25 hours?
any help will be greatly appreciated!

[email protected]

excel- want to format cell formula to the file name

to do the time, do finish time minus start time, just make sure the
cell is formatted as H:MM (or possibly better, [H]:MM) - this would
show as hours and minutes. IF you actually need that and as a decimal,
then multiply the result by 60 * 24

Not sure what you mean by the first part of the question but hopefully
someone else does!

Mike McLellan

excel- want to format cell formula to the file name

difference' - there are numerous answers to the question

"jack_mel" wrote:

I am using excel for invoices & billing. The file name is the same as the
invoice number. how do I format a cell to do this automatically? Is there a
formula for this? and also, I also need to calculate time: say start time is
8:00am - finish time is 11:15am, is there a formula to caculate 3.25 hours?
any help will be greatly appreciated!

Gary''s Student

excel- want to format cell formula to the file name

If you want to put the file name into a cell, then use:

=MID(CELL("filename",Z100),FIND("[",CELL("filename",Z100),1)+1,FIND("]",CELL("filename",Z100),1)-FIND("[",CELL("filename",Z100),1)-1)

will return something like:

Book1.xls

=MID(CELL("filename",Z100),FIND("[",CELL("filename",Z100),1)+1,FIND("]",CELL("filename",Z100),1)-FIND("[",CELL("filename",Z100),1)-5)

will return

Book1
--
Gary''s Student