-   -   How to set number of characters within a cell in Excel 2003? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/86871-how-set-number-characters-within-cell-excel-2003-a.html)

aqmdtran

How to set number of characters within a cell in Excel 2003?

I want Excell 2003 to either limit me from putting a limited of character
within a cell. For example, I want only 10 characters within a cell, so
either I could set it up beforehand and excell will not let me put more than
10 characters or it could count how many characters I have in the cell with a
formula.

Gary''s Student

How to set number of characters within a cell in Excel 2003?

Data validation is exactly what you want:

Select the cells you want to restrict and pull-down:

Data Validation Allow text length Less than 11

--
Gary's Student

"aqmdtran" wrote:

I want Excell 2003 to either limit me from putting a limited of character
within a cell. For example, I want only 10 characters within a cell, so
either I could set it up beforehand and excell will not let me put more than
10 characters or it could count how many characters I have in the cell with a
formula.

aqmdtran

How to set number of characters within a cell in Excel 2003?

Thank you for the quick respond. I went through this function a million time
but could not figure it. Thank you very much.