-   -   Comparing Spreadsheets (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/8654-comparing-spreadsheets.html)

HankHarris

Comparing Spreadsheets

Greetings friends. I hope you can help me out. Let me just say for the
record that I have no idea what a LOOKUP function does, so if it's as simple
as that, I'm sorry to be a bother.

I have two spreadsheets. One has a list of student IDs and student names.
Another has a list of student IDs and test results. I want to compile the
spreadsheets into one, using the student ID to match the two other pieces of
data.

The only thing I could think of was to sort the IDs numerically, which would
work if both lists had the same exact students. But alas they don't. Many
of the students didn't take the test and therefore don't have results, so
it's not an easy sort/copy/paste function.

Any ideas?

Thanks much.

Hank Harris
Santa Monica-Malibu Schools