-   -   create cell formula for... (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/86265-create-cell-formula.html)

Denys

create cell formula for...

I'm trying to have a formula to change the color of a cell when a number is
type in.

ie., 1= red; 2=yellow; 3=blue, etc.

I've been looking all over, but to no avail.

I want the cell to change color if number 1 is typed in it, etc....

any help would be appreciated it.

Thanks in advance

Denys

Biff

create cell formula for...

Hi!

If you have more than 3 conditions then you'll either need VBA code or a
special add-in that's been designed for this.

Try this for the 3 conditions in your example:

Select the cell where you want this color to appear. I'll assume this is A1.

Goto FormatConditional Formatting
Select Formula Is from the drop down list
Enter this formula in the box to the right: =A1=1
Click the format button
Select the style(s) desired
OK

Click the ADD button and repeat the above steps for your other conditions
changing the formula as appropriate. =A1=2, =A1=3

If you have more than 3 conditions then you might be interested in this
add-in:

http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.....Download.html

Biff

"Denys" wrote in message
I'm trying to have a formula to change the color of a cell when a number
is type in.

ie., 1= red; 2=yellow; 3=blue, etc.

I've been looking all over, but to no avail.

I want the cell to change color if number 1 is typed in it, etc....

any help would be appreciated it.

Thanks in advance

Denys

Gord Dibben

create cell formula for...

Formulas cannot format cells, only return values.

Check out FormatConditional Formatting.

You can have 3 conditions..........4 if you count the default.

If etc. means more than that, you will probably need VBA code or visit John
McGimpsey's site for Custom formatting up to 6 colors for numbers.

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/conditional6.html

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 1 May 2006 17:36:24 -0700, "Denys" wrote:

I'm trying to have a formula to change the color of a cell when a number is
type in.

ie., 1= red; 2=yellow; 3=blue, etc.

I've been looking all over, but to no avail.

I want the cell to change color if number 1 is typed in it, etc....

any help would be appreciated it.

Thanks in advance

Denys

Denys