-   -   Restrictions On Merged Cells? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/86187-restrictions-merged-cells.html)

RERICE

Restrictions On Merged Cells?

I have created a form and it appears that there is a restirction on the
number of lines/characters that can go in this merged area. I am set up
as merged/wrap text/shrink to fit but after 8 lines, any following data
entered goes off the form as if "wrap text" is not there. Also, it
doesn't show up on print preview. How can I get around this, as the
requirement for this form may be much more than 8 lines?

Bob

--
RERICE
RERICE's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34008

Beege

Restrictions On Merged Cells?

RERICE,

It's my understanding that merging cells in Excel is not desirable. If you
need to make a form, its better to use borders to create regions, and
include as many cells in the borders as you need for aesthetics. You can use
"center across selection" to fine-tune some of your text positioning, and
turn off gridlines as your form is designed, leaving the borders you turned
on to view and print. HTH

Beege

"RERICE" wrote in
message ...

I have created a form and it appears that there is a restirction on the
number of lines/characters that can go in this merged area. I am set up
as merged/wrap text/shrink to fit but after 8 lines, any following data
entered goes off the form as if "wrap text" is not there. Also, it
doesn't show up on print preview. How can I get around this, as the
requirement for this form may be much more than 8 lines?

Bob

--
RERICE
RERICE's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=537705

JE McGimpsey

Restrictions On Merged Cells?

Per Help/Specifications, each cell will display only the first 1024
characters (even if merged). You can get around this by manually
entering a line feed character (Option-Enter) at least every 1024 chars.

In article ,
RERICE wrote:

I have created a form and it appears that there is a restirction on the
number of lines/characters that can go in this merged area. I am set up
as merged/wrap text/shrink to fit but after 8 lines, any following data
entered goes off the form as if "wrap text" is not there. Also, it
doesn't show up on print preview. How can I get around this, as the
requirement for this form may be much more than 8 lines?

Bob

RERICE

Restrictions On Merged Cells?

Too late-the form has been created with merged cells and is in use. Is
there a way to get around the problem I'm seeing with the restriction
in # of lines?

Bob

--

RERICE wrote:

I have created a form and it appears that there is a restirction on

the
number of lines/characters that can go in this merged area. I am set

up
as merged/wrap text/shrink to fit but after 8 lines, any following

data
entered goes off the form as if "wrap text" is not there. Also, it
doesn't show up on print preview. How can I get around this, as the
requirement for this form may be much more than 8 lines?

Bob

what keystrokes do I use for the linefeed?

--
RERICE
RERICE's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34008
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=537705