-   -   Using SumProduct and Count To Calculate % Ranks (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/85839-using-sumproduct-count-calculate-%25-ranks.html)

SteveC

Using SumProduct and Count To Calculate % Ranks

What formula should I use in Column C to return the % figures in Column C?

This formula in Column C should rank in percent the numerical rank in Column
B for Each Label indicated in Column A.

For example, in the first row below, it shows that 4 in Col B is in the top
57% of the 7 Xs in Col A. The manual formula is =4/7.

Could you also explain generally what the sumproduct formula that should be
used with this is doing in English? Thanks a lot!

Col A Col B Col B
X 4 57%
X 7 100%
X 2 29%
X 1 14%
X 5 71%
X 6 86%
X 3 43%
XX 4 100%
XX 2 50%
XX 1 25%
XX 3 75%
XXX 1 14%
XXX 3 43%
XXX 6 86%
XXX 4 57%
XXX 7 100%
XXX 2 29%
XXX 5 71%
XXXX 2 50%
XXXX 3 75%
XXXX 4 100%
XXXX 1 25%

Duke Carey

Using SumProduct and Count To Calculate % Ranks

You don't need SUMPRODUCT

If these values start in row 2 and go down to row 25, then in col C use

=B2/COUNTIF($A$2:$A$25,a2)

"SteveC" wrote:

[...]

macropod

Using SumProduct and Count To Calculate % Ranks

Hi Steve,

Try:
=B1/COUNTIF(A:A,A1)
in C1 and copy down as far as needed. I can't see any need for a SUMPRODUCT
solution.

For an explanation of the COUNTIF function, input the formula and click on
the 'Paste function' icon on the toolbar.

Cheers

"SteveC" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you very much!

SteveC

Using SumProduct and Count To Calculate % Ranks

Great! Thanks.