-   -   Averaging Text vs. Numbers (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/85656-averaging-text-vs-numbers.html)

NKDodd

Averaging Text vs. Numbers

I have a column that we either enter €œy€ for yes or €œn€ for no to track
passing scores. Is there a way that I can average the yes and nos from the
same column?

[email protected]

Averaging Text vs. Numbers

a combination of the countif and counta functions would do it for you

=COUNTIF(A1:A4,"yes")/COUNTA(A1:A4)

Bob Phillips

Averaging Text vs. Numbers

=COUNTIF(G:G,"y")/COUNTA(G:G)

and format as a percentage

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"NKDodd" wrote in message
I have a column that we either enter "y" for yes or "n" for no to track
passing scores. Is there a way that I can average the yes' and no's from

the
same column?

NKDodd

Averaging Text vs. Numbers

Thank you very much. I knew I must have been trying to make this harder than
needed...

" wrote:

a combination of the countif and counta functions would do it for you

=COUNTIF(A1:A4,"yes")/COUNTA(A1:A4)

Richard Buttrey

Averaging Text vs. Numbers

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 07:30:02 -0700, NKDodd
wrote:

I have a column that we either enter “y” for yes or “n” for no to track
passing scores. Is there a way that I can average the yes’ and no’s from the
same column?

One way.

With scores in A1:A20 and y/n in B1:B10

Average of the y cells
=SUMIF(B1:B20,"y",A1:A20)/SUMPRODUCT((A1:A20<"")*(B1:B20="y"))

Average of the n cells
just change the y's to n's

HTH
__