-   -   naming formula (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/8511-naming-formula.html)

R.VENKATARAMAN

naming formula

i was trying to name a fomula
<=vlookup($B6,table,3,false)
now in the name the B6 is with respet to the sheet in which I originally
named the formula. But I would like the name to take the B6 of the acitve
sheet. I realise this can be done with a vba procedure. But is it possible
to use worksheet function in this case. I hope I made mself clear.

if the name is rv when I use this name in sheet1 it should refer to
sheet1-B6. If i use that name in sheet2 it should refer to sheet2 B6.

Frank Kabel

Hi
see:
http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.Names.html
for creating local names

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

R.VENKATARAMAN wrote:
i was trying to name a fomula
<=vlookup($B6,table,3,false)
now in the name the B6 is with respet to the sheet in which I
originally named the formula. But I would like the name to take the
B6 of the acitve sheet. I realise this can be done with a vba
procedure. But is it possible to use worksheet function in this case.
I hope I made mself clear.

if the name is rv when I use this name in sheet1 it should refer to
sheet1-B6. If i use that name in sheet2 it should refer to sheet2 B6.

R.VENKATARAMAN

thanks.

I already have BOB Philips article. but it is not clear how to create <
local names
perhpas this functionality is not available in excel 2000.

R.VENKATARAMAN wrote:
i was trying to name a fomula
<=vlookup($B6,table,3,false)
now in the name the B6 is with respet to the sheet in which I
originally named the formula. But I would like the name to take the
B6 of the acitve sheet. I realise this can be done with a vba
procedure. But is it possible to use worksheet function in this case.
I hope I made mself clear.

if the name is rv when I use this name in sheet1 it should refer to
sheet1-B6. If i use that name in sheet2 it should refer to sheet2 B6.

Frank Kabel

Hi
on thing that helps for that is Jan Karel's NameManager addin:
http://www.jkp-ads.com/OfficeMarketPlaceNM-EN.htm

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

R.VENKATARAMAN wrote:
i was trying to name a fomula
<=vlookup($B6,table,3,false)
now in the name the B6 is with respet to the sheet in which I
originally named the formula. But I would like the name to take the
B6 of the acitve sheet. I realise this can be done with a vba
procedure. But is it possible to use worksheet function in this case.
I hope I made mself clear.

if the name is rv when I use this name in sheet1 it should refer to
sheet1-B6. If i use that name in sheet2 it should refer to sheet2 B6.

Aladin Akyurek

R.VENKATARAMAN wrote:
i was trying to name a fomula

LFormula defined as:

=VLOOKUP(!$B$6,Table,3,0)

would cover your intent. But I don't think this is a good practice.

<=vlookup($B6,table,3,false)
now in the name the B6 is with respet to the sheet in which I originally
named the formula. But I would like the name to take the B6 of the acitve
sheet. I realise this can be done with a vba procedure. But is it possible
to use worksheet function in this case. I hope I made mself clear.

if the name is rv when I use this name in sheet1 it should refer to
sheet1-B6. If i use that name in sheet2 it should refer to sheet2 B6.

R.VENKATARAMAN

thank you. I have this addin and I used with some sweating I managed to do
what i want.