-   -   Average Non-Adjacent Cells in Budget Spreadsheet (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/84339-average-non-adjacent-cells-budget-spreadsheet.html)

OPB3

Average Non-Adjacent Cells in Budget Spreadsheet

I have Budget SpreadSheet thet is set by month(U3), then Budget(U4),
Actual(V5) columns. This is repeated 12 times across the sheet. I then
have "Buget Average" and an "Actual Average" cell. The budget average
is easy because all cells have values for all 12 months. How do I
average the actual since only a few months have data?

This shoud be simple but I have read 200 posts and have not found
anything. All suggestions were for ranges/adjacent cells.

--
OPB3
OPB3's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33686

Bob Phillips

Average Non-Adjacent Cells in Budget Spreadsheet

Just run AVERAGE as normal, it ignores blank cells

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"OPB3" wrote in message

I have Budget SpreadSheet thet is set by month(U3), then Budget(U4),
Actual(V5) columns. This is repeated 12 times across the sheet. I then
have "Buget Average" and an "Actual Average" cell. The budget average
is easy because all cells have values for all 12 months. How do I
average the actual since only a few months have data?

This shoud be simple but I have read 200 posts and have not found
anything. All suggestions were for ranges/adjacent cells.

--
OPB3
OPB3's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=534715

Tim Whitley

Average Non-Adjacent Cells in Budget Spreadsheet

=(F10+H10+J10+L10)/(COUNTA(F10,H10,J10,L10)

This formula should work where F10, H10, J10, L10, etc are your Actuals and
where a zero is entered for any past month with no Actual data.

"OPB3" wrote:

I have Budget SpreadSheet thet is set by month(U3), then Budget(U4),
Actual(V5) columns. This is repeated 12 times across the sheet. I then
have "Buget Average" and an "Actual Average" cell. The budget average
is easy because all cells have values for all 12 months. How do I
average the actual since only a few months have data?

This shoud be simple but I have read 200 posts and have not found
anything. All suggestions were for ranges/adjacent cells.

--
OPB3
OPB3's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33686
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=534715

Harlan Grove

Average Non-Adjacent Cells in Budget Spreadsheet

Tim Whitley wrote...
=(F10+H10+J10+L10)/(COUNTA(F10,H10,J10,L10)

Why not just use

=AVERAGE(F10,H10,J10,L10)

?

OPB3

Average Non-Adjacent Cells in Budget Spreadsheet

This is close but it only works on on rows (AH7, AH8, etc) without my
subtotals (AH9). I have attached a pdf of the spreadsheet (I Think) and
this is the actual formula:

=(J7+L7+N7+P7+R7+T7+V7+X7+Z7+AB7+AD7+AF7)/(COUNTA(J7,L7,N7,P7,R7,T7,V7,X7,Z7,AB7,AD7,AF7))

The row with the subtotal has a zero placed due to the formula so the
future months that have no actuals skew the average. The AVERAGE
function alone, as suggested, does not work at all.

I am a "newbie" to excell and appreciate the help.

"OPB3" wrote:

I have Budget SpreadSheet thet is set by month(U3), then Budget(U4),
Actual(V5) columns. This is repeated 12 times across the sheet. I

then
have "Buget Average" and an "Actual Average" cell. The budget

average
is easy because all cells have values for all 12 months. How do I
average the actual since only a few months have data?

This shoud be simple but I have read 200 posts and have not found
anything. All suggestions were for ranges/adjacent cells.

--
OPB3

OPB3's Profile:

View this thread:

|Filename: Budget2005 (20050726).pdf |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4675 |

OPB3
OPB3's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33686
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=534715

Aladin Akyurek

OPB3 wrote:
This is close but it only works on on rows (AH7, AH8, etc) without my
subtotals (AH9). I have attached a pdf of the spreadsheet (I Think) and
this is the actual formula:

=(J7+L7+N7+P7+R7+T7+V7+X7+Z7+AB7+AD7+AF7)/(COUNTA(J7,L7,N7,P7,R7,T7,V7,X7,Z7,AB7,AD7,AF7))

The row with the subtotal has a zero placed due to the formula so the
future months that have no actuals skew the average. The AVERAGE
function alone, as suggested, does not work at all.

[...]

Given the structure of the formula you posted:

=AVERAGE(IF(MOD(COLUMN(J7:AF7)-COLUMN(J7)+0,2)=0,IF(J7:AF70),J7:AF7)))

which needs to be confirmed with control+shift+enter, not just with enter.