-   -   excel "" in function (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/8433-excel-%22%22-function.html)

drisok

excel "" in function

I am using an =if function as follows: =IF(E8"",C8*D8,"")

Right now the formula only works if E8 contains a letter, I would like it
to work for a letter AND a number but cannot figure out how.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jason Morin

Why not

=IF(E8<"",C8*D8,"")

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

I am using an =if function as follows: =IF

(E8"",C8*D8,"")

Right now the formula only works if E8 contains a

letter, I would like it
to work for a letter AND a number but cannot figure out

how.

Any help would be appreciated.
.

Paul B

Here is one way, =IF(ISBLANK(E8),"",C8*D8)

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"drisok" wrote in message
I am using an =if function as follows: =IF(E8"",C8*D8,"")

Right now the formula only works if E8 contains a letter, I would like it
to work for a letter AND a number but cannot figure out how.

Any help would be appreciated.

Peo Sjoblom

Assuming you mean if E8 is NOT blank/empty

=IF(E8<"",C8*D8,"")

otherwise I don't know what you mean by E8 greater than ""

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"drisok" wrote:

I am using an =if function as follows: =IF(E8"",C8*D8,"")

Right now the formula only works if E8 contains a letter, I would like it
to work for a letter AND a number but cannot figure out how.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gord Dibben

Try =IF(E8<"",C8*D8,"")

Which means "not equal" rather then "greater than"

Gord Dibben Excel MVP