-   -   SUM a named range (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/84042-sum-named-range.html)

twa14

SUM a named range

If I put numbers 1,2,3,4 in a named range "x' in cells a1,a2,a3,a4 and put
SUM(x) in any other cell I get "10" as output, thus correct answer. If I
change the formula to "SUM(x^2) I get "1" instead of "30". However when I use
the function wizard by clicking on "fx" at the top of the screen the wizard
indicates that the correct answer is "30". I press enter and the cell shows
"1" instead of "30". Does anyone have any ideas??.

Tom Walsh

Peo Sjoblom

SUM a named range

enter the formula with ctrl + shift & enter, since you want to do this
cell1^2+cell2^2 and so on, you would need to apply it as an array formula
thus the method of entering it

Peo Sjoblom

http://nwexcelsolutions.com

"twa14" wrote in message
If I put numbers 1,2,3,4 in a named range "x' in cells a1,a2,a3,a4 and put
SUM(x) in any other cell I get "10" as output, thus correct answer. If I
change the formula to "SUM(x^2) I get "1" instead of "30". However when I
use
the function wizard by clicking on "fx" at the top of the screen the
wizard
indicates that the correct answer is "30". I press enter and the cell
shows
"1" instead of "30". Does anyone have any ideas??.

Tom Walsh

Biff

SUM a named range

Hi!

Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT(N(OFFSET(A1,ROW(X)-1,,1))^2)

Biff

"twa14" wrote in message
If I put numbers 1,2,3,4 in a named range "x' in cells a1,a2,a3,a4 and put
SUM(x) in any other cell I get "10" as output, thus correct answer. If I
change the formula to "SUM(x^2) I get "1" instead of "30". However when I
use
the function wizard by clicking on "fx" at the top of the screen the
wizard
indicates that the correct answer is "30". I press enter and the cell
shows
"1" instead of "30". Does anyone have any ideas??.

Tom Walsh

Biff

SUM a named range

Doh!

Forget my suggestion!

Or even:

=SUMPRODUCT(X^2)

Biff

"twa14" wrote in message
If I put numbers 1,2,3,4 in a named range "x' in cells a1,a2,a3,a4 and
put
SUM(x) in any other cell I get "10" as output, thus correct answer. If I
change the formula to "SUM(x^2) I get "1" instead of "30". However when I
use
the function wizard by clicking on "fx" at the top of the screen the
wizard
indicates that the correct answer is "30". I press enter and the cell
shows
"1" instead of "30". Does anyone have any ideas??.

Tom Walsh

twa14

SUM a named range

That did the trick, many thanks for the prompt reply.
Regards
Tom Walsh