-   -   updating invoice number on excel spreadsheet (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/8314-updating-invoice-number-excel-spreadsheet.html)

beave

updating invoice number on excel spreadsheet

I have made a spreadsheet to do service orders for my business. I have the
invoice number in one cell and will be typing the customers name in a
different cell. I want the invoice number to change everytime I type in a
name for the new service order. Can this be done.
Thanks

Frank Kabel

Hi
not with formulas alone. For a starting point see:
http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
"beave" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
lkaboutsoftware.com...
I have made a spreadsheet to do service orders for my business. I have the
invoice number in one cell and will be typing the customers name in a
different cell. I want the invoice number to change everytime I type in a
name for the new service order. Can this be done.
Thanks

beave

Do you type all the words that are shown as is. Does all tis get typed in
the formula box?

Dave Peterson

You may want to read David McRitchie's intro to macros at:

(no, it doesn't go into the formula bar.)