-   -   two quick questions on excel. please answer as soon as possible... (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/8043-two-quick-questions-excel-please-answer-soon-possible.html)

Microofficetester

two quick questions on excel. please answer as soon as possible...

question 1
can you use the MAX function to check more than one condition?

question 2
when entering a formula by selecting cell references, do you only need to
type the operators and the initial "="?

Bob Phillips

Here is an example that tests column A for the value a, and gets the MAX
value in B that is less than 10

=MAX(IF(A1:A10="a",IF(B1:B10<10,B1:B10)))

it is an array formula, so commit with Ctrl-Shift-Enter,

--

HTH

RP

"Microofficetester" wrote in
message ...
question 1
can you use the MAX function to check more than one condition?

question 2
when entering a formula by selecting cell references, do you only need to
type the operators and the initial "="?

Frank Kabel

Hi
1. Not really sure what you're trying to achieve. Do you mean an array
formula such as
=MAX(IF(A1:A100="value1")*(B1:B100="value2"),C1:C1 00))

2. Yes

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
question 1
can you use the MAX function to check more than one condition?

question 2
when entering a formula by selecting cell references, do you only need to
type the operators and the initial "="?

microofficetester

thanks for answering the second question
question 1 was a test question that was given by one of my teachers.
to make the question simple and try to make you guys understand better let
me give you the question word for word
TRUE OR FALSE
YOU CAN USE THE MAX FUNCTION TO CHECK MORE THAN ONE CONDITION

"Microofficetester" wrote:

question 1
can you use the MAX function to check more than one condition?

question 2
when entering a formula by selecting cell references, do you only need to
type the operators and the initial "="?

Fred Smith

I would say the answer to the question is False, but to me it's poorly
worded.

Fred
Please reply to newsgroup, not e-mail

"Microofficetester" wrote:

question 1
can you use the MAX function to check more than one condition?

question 2
when entering a formula by selecting cell references, do you only need to
type the operators and the initial "="?

Tim C

=IF(MAX(A1:A10)<10,"true","false")

Technically, this would test the condition of all 10 cells. You could also
use MAX() in place of OR() and receive the same result, though I don't know
why you would want to.

It is a strange, useless, badly worded question, as far as I can see.

Tim C

"Microofficetester" wrote:

question 1
can you use the MAX function to check more than one condition?

question 2
when entering a formula by selecting cell references, do you only need
type the operators and the initial "="?

JulieD

Hi

question doesn't make sense - MAX returns the maximum value of a range or up
to 30 different ranges - there are no conditions in play, unless it is
nested with an IF statement.
---
(from help)
MAX(number1,number2,...) - Number1, number2, ... are 1 to 30 numbers
for which you want to find the maximum value.

---

if the question was
You can use the MAX function to check more than one RANGE - answer = TRUE
as it is currently worded i would go for FALSE as checking Conditions is not
the purpose of a MAX function.

Good luck!

Cheers
JulieD