-   -   I need to count the occurence of text in a range of cells (which . (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/7828-i-need-count-occurence-text-range-cells.html)

Brenda

I need to count the occurence of text in a range of cells (which .

I need to count the occurence of a character (i.e. a comma (,)) in a range of
cells. Each comma represents a value of one and may occur more than once in a
cell. Then I need to have the total sum of commas found. Thanks in advance.
Brenda.

JE McGimpsey

One way, array-entered (CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER or CMD-RETURN):

Assuming your range is named rng,

=SUM(LEN(rng)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(rng,",","")))