-   -   Moving text in a cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/7825-moving-text-cell.html)

estaban botas

Moving text in a cell

I'm needing a function that looks for a single date within a ranged of dates
and if found, return the value of a cell within the column of the found date.
The value of the cell is text.

Any thoughts?
--
Many thanks

BobT

If I'm understanding you correctly, you have table like:

1-Jan 2-Jan 3-Jan
a b c

And when given a date, e.g. "2-Jan", you want it to return the "b" or some
other known row within the "2-Jan" column. If so, you need the HLOOKUP
function.

If your data is like this:

1-Jan a
2-Jan b
3-Jan c

Then you need the VLOOKUP function.

"estaban botas" wrote:

I'm needing a function that looks for a single date within a ranged of dates
and if found, return the value of a cell within the column of the found date.
The value of the cell is text.

Any thoughts?
--
Many thanks

Dave Peterson

And Debra Dalgleish has some nice instructions for =vlookup() at: