-   -   Date comparison (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/77890-date-comparison.html)

Darkdrew

Date comparison

I am trying to come up with a formula to compare 2 dates and highlight the
cell if a certain result is reached. Here is the logic:
IF RC[-2]-RC[-8]=3
IF RC[-8]<Thursday
IF RC[-8]<Friday
HIGHLIGHT RC[-1]
ENDIF
ENDIF
ELSE
IF RC[-2]-RC[-8]=5
IF RC[-8]<Monday
IF RC[-8]<Tuesday
IF RC[-8]<Wednesday
HIGHLIGHT RC[-1]
ENDIF
ENDIF
ENDIF
ELSE
HIGHLIGHT RC[-1]
ENDIF

It's been a while since my SPL class, so please excuse the mistakes. For
non-programmers:
I want to subtract 2 dates. If the result is 3 but the second cell's date
is not a Thursday or Friday, to highlight it. If the result is 5 but the
second cell's date is not Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday, to highlight it. If
there are any other results, highlight it.

Note: I am using the R1C1 reference style.

Darkdrew

Date comparison

Anyone looking into this, or is it a pipe dream?

Darkdrew

Date comparison

Bueller? Bueller?

"Darkdrew" wrote:

Anyone looking into this, or is it a pipe dream?

Beege

Date comparison

"Darkdrew" wrote in message
[...]

To start with

Formula to subract two dates, resuting in days:

=TEXT(RC[-1]-RC[-2],"D")

In conditional Formatting use
=AND(RC="3",NOT(OR(TEXT(RC[-1],"DDDD")="Thursday",TEXT(RC[-1],"DDDD")="Friday")))

Format for highlighting

The rest is up to you...

Beege

Darkdrew

Date comparison

I appreciate the response. I'll try it out tomorrow. It won't work right
now because I've found a new problem. My boss gave me the file as a CSV
sheet. The dates are text and I need to convert them to date format.

Mon, Jun 12, 06 = 6/12/06
I can get it to extract the 06 and maybe the 12, but the Jul is screwing it
up mightily. I've seen a few on the group here, but they're not working as
the examples are not in the same text-style mine are. Any tips for this one,
too?

"Beege" wrote:

"Darkdrew" wrote in message
[...]

Date comparison

"Darkdrew" wrote in message
I appreciate the response. I'll try it out tomorrow. It won't work right
now because I've found a new problem. My boss gave me the file as a CSV
sheet. The dates are text and I need to convert them to date format.

Mon, Jun 12, 06 = 6/12/06
I can get it to extract the 06 and maybe the 12, but the Jul is screwing
it
up mightily. I've seen a few on the group here, but they're not working
as
the examples are not in the same text-style mine are. Any tips for this
one,
too?

"Beege" wrote:

Try Data/Text to Columns
Fixed Width
Remove separators/Lines exc. between "Mon, " and "Jun
Don't import "Mon " column
TADA

Beege

Darkdrew

Date comparison

Unfortunately the entire date is in one column. I guess I can try to
manually delete them, but at that rate, I may as well rewrite the whole thing.

"Beege" wrote:

Try Data/Text to Columns
Fixed Width
Remove separators/Lines exc. between "Mon, " and "Jun
Don't import "Mon " column
TADA

Beege

Darkdrew

Date comparison

Let's see if I can't rephrase things, because that formula doesn't work for me.

I have a date in column 12 and 18. Column 20 =RC[-2]-RC[-8]. I need to NOT
highlight column 20 if 1) it =-3 AND column 12=Thursday or Friday. 2) it =-5
AND column 12=Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday. For now I've been doing it
manually, but I hope to have a solution to this by next week when I have to
do it all over again.

As for the text/date conversion, it's moot now. I copy/pasted from a
version of the worksheet my boss gave me where it DOES have the dates instead
of text. Thanks, though.