-   -   Sampling Program (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/77654-sampling-program.html)

Miloann

Sampling Program

Is there existing macros or functions that I can perform the following
sampling logic?

I have a file with 500K transactions. Would like to start with a number and
select one transaction every 30 records. The total number of selected
transactions are 2000.

Thanks.

Max

Sampling Program

One way ..

Assume txn data is in col A, from A1 down to A65536

In B1 will be input the row start number, say: 3

Put in C1: =OFFSET(INDIRECT("A"&$B$1),ROW(A1)*30-30,)
Copy C1 down to C2000

C1:C2000 will return what's in: A3, A33, A63, ....
--
Max
Singapore
"Miloann" wrote in message
Is there existing macros or functions that I can perform the following
sampling logic?

I have a file with 500K transactions. Would like to start with a number

and
select one transaction every 30 records. The total number of selected
transactions are 2000.

Thanks.

Max

Sampling Program

Had presumed there was a typo (an extra zero?) in your line:
I have a file with 500K transactions.

(50K, not 500K <g)
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Miloann

Sampling Program

Thanks a lot.

What if I want to save the extracted records into a new spreadsheet? Thanks
again.
"Max" wrote in message
Had presumed there was a typo (an extra zero?) in your line:
I have a file with 500K transactions.

(50K, not 500K <g)
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Max

Sampling Program

"Miloann" wrote
What if I want to save the extracted records into a new spreadsheet?

Assume source txn data is in Sheet1, from A1 down

In another sheet, say Sheet2:

Input the source sheetname in A1: Sheet1
Input the row start number in B1, say: 3

Then we could put in C1, the revised:
=OFFSET(INDIRECT("'"&$A$1&"'!A"&$B$1),ROW(A1)*30-30,)
and copy C1 down to C2000, as before

The above will extract the required results