-   -   Extracting rows depending on string (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/77609-extracting-rows-depending-string.html)

Deki

Extracting rows depending on string

Hello,
I have spreadsheet with thousands of records. I need to pull out all records
from first coloumn ending with "ic", and have spreadsheet sorted so those
records are on the top, or bottom, or create new spreadsheet with searched
records and delete them from the old one.
If that is not clear enough, I need to split the list into records that have
"ic" at the end of first cell, from the rest of records.
I have some VBA experience, but never worked with Excell.
Thanks!
--
Deki PA

Richard Buttrey

Extracting rows depending on string

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 14:49:40 -0800, Deki
wrote:

Hello,
I have spreadsheet with thousands of records. I need to pull out all records
from first coloumn ending with "ic", and have spreadsheet sorted so those
records are on the top, or bottom, or create new spreadsheet with searched
records and delete them from the old one.
If that is not clear enough, I need to split the list into records that have
"ic" at the end of first cell, from the rest of records.
I have some VBA experience, but never worked with Excell.
Thanks!

Easiest way is to use Data-- Filter-- AutoFilter. Make sure your
cursor is somewhere in your data before selecting this. Then click on
the drop down arrow in the first column, choose Custom Filter, select
the 'ends with' option, and type "ic" in the box to the right.

You can then copy them all and paste elsewhere. Then delete them
before cancelling the Data Filter.

HTH

__
Richard Buttrey