-   -   how do I extract hex digits in a cell and convert to binary (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/77504-how-do-i-extract-hex-digits-cell-convert-binary.html)

prs_013

how do I extract hex digits in a cell and convert to binary

I want to evaluea hex expression say AABB and split it to individual cells
in binary
1010
1010
1011
1011
I can use the HEX2BIN only to convert max of AA. It fails when I try to use
AABB. How do I extract the AA from AABB or extrac A from AA?

JE McGimpsey

how do I extract hex digits in a cell and convert to binary

One way:

A1: AABB

B1: =HEX2BIN(MID($A$1,ROW(),1),4)

Copy B1 down to B4.

In article ,
prs_013 wrote:

I want to evaluea hex expression say AABB and split it to individual cells
in binary
1010
1010
1011
1011
I can use the HEX2BIN only to convert max of AA. It fails when I try to use
AABB. How do I extract the AA from AABB or extrac A from AA?

prs_013

how do I extract hex digits in a cell and convert to binary

Thanks,
I figured out that I could use the MID function to get what I wanted. I have
a related question. Since I may want to place the values at a different
location, what can I use to replicate the ROW() function to go from 1 to 4
without dependencies on the ROW?

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

One way:

A1: AABB

B1: =HEX2BIN(MID($A$1,ROW(),1),4)

Copy B1 down to B4.

In article ,
prs_013 wrote:

I want to evaluea hex expression say AABB and split it to individual cells
in binary
1010
1010
1011
1011
I can use the HEX2BIN only to convert max of AA. It fails when I try to use
AABB. How do I extract the AA from AABB or extrac A from AA?

George

how do I extract hex digits in a cell and convert to binary

The row() basically returns 1 to 4 so that it may extract each character
1 at a time.
Some options are;
You can manually enter the values 1 to 4 instead of Row()
if you moved the answers down to row 10
You could use Row()-9
If you moved the answers into columns say Column G (= column 7)
You could use Column()-6

One other method would be to copy the numbers 1 to 4 in an adjacent
column to where you want the answers, and then just refer to that cell
instead.

Hope I sent you on the right path
George

prs_013 wrote:
Thanks,
I figured out that I could use the MID function to get what I wanted. I have
a related question. Since I may want to place the values at a different
location, what can I use to replicate the ROW() function to go from 1 to 4
without dependencies on the ROW?

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

One way:

A1: AABB